Cures for Repetitive Strain Injuries
If you are concerned that you are displaying some or all of the symptoms associated with a repetitive strain injury (RSI) it is important that you visit your doctor without delay. It is thought that the earlier the problem is diagnosed and managed, the better the outcome. When you visit your doctor, they may do the following:
- Advise you to, if possible, stop or at least reduce the tasks which seem to be triggering the symptoms. This might be easier said than done depending on your job. Your doctor will most likely advise you to discuss the issue with your employer, who may be able to make changes to the task or work environment to reduce the impact.
- Issue you with anti-inflammatory medicines, which are thought to reduce the symptoms associated with the condition. However, recent studies have suggested that over-the-counter painkillers work just as well.
- Issue other medication such as muscle relaxant tablets or a small dose of a tricyclic antidepressant.
- Refer you to a physiotherapist who can advise you on how improving your posture can help with the condition. They can also show you how to strengthen or relax the muscles in question as well as offer treatments such as:
– Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). This technique uses a mild electrical current to block the pain
– Infrared wave treatment
– Ultrasound therapy
- Carry out relaxation techniques and regular exercise which, for some people have proven useful in easing symptoms.
- Advise the injection of steroid, often combined with a local anaesthetic into an area which has definite inflammation, such as carpal tunnel syndrome or tenosynovitis.
Outlook for RSI sufferers
Most sufferers of RSI see symptoms improve in three to six months. Preventing the onset of symptoms and implementing measures to treat symptoms will speed up the recovery. That said, some people might develop symptoms that persist long-term and this can be debilitating. Sometimes, changing jobs might be the only answer.
Claiming For Repetitive Strain Injuries
Suffering with Repetitive Strain Injury?
RSI can be debilitating and can prevent you from doing your job, performing everyday domestic tasks and enjoying your leisure activities and hobbies. Speak to one of our specialist RSI claims solicitors today and get the compensation you deserve for your injury.
Latest Repetitive Strain Injury News
We’ve all been stuck in a traffic jam behind an old digger slowly bumping along the road, but how many of us thought about the risks the drivers could be putting themselves at by spending long periods of time in such machines? Older tractors and diggers were designed to carry out a range of jobs and most thought was put into developing their...